Tameson Newsletter July 2022
Our July 2022 newsletter focuses on solenoid valves! We have a wide variety solenoid valves available for purchase on our website with 2-day delivery. If you need help deciding which solenoid valve to choose - see our technical information center for more information.
As always, we are always looking for improvement in our newsletter. If you have any comments or change suggestions, please let us know!
2-Way Solenoid Valves
A 2-way solenoid valve has two ports, an inlet and an outlet. It also has two switching states, open or closed, that are electromechanically controlled. These valves are used solely to start/stop the flow of media.
- Normally Closed (NC): With no power, the inlet is closed to the outlet preventing any flow.
- Normally Open (NO): With no power, the inlet is open to the outlet allowing flow.
- Bi-Stable (Latching): With an electrical pulse, the valve will move between open and closed and then stay in that position with no power.
3-Way Solenoid Valve
A 3-way solenoid valve has three ports and two switching states. They are used for mixing and distributing applications, which depends on the internal port connections.
- Mixing: It has two input ports and one output port. Depending on the state, either input 1 or 2 is connected to the output to mix the media.
- Distributing: It has one input port and two output ports. Depending on the state, either the input goes to output 1 or output 2. This allows you to direct the media to two different ports.
Proportional Solenoid Valve
A proportional solenoid valve allows you to precisely control the flow with a very fast response between 0-100% open, rather than completely open or closed. It is recommended to control them with a proportional controller and pulse-width modulation (PWM) to improve performance. These controllers can work on a closed or open loop system, allowing them to adjust the valve’s opening to ensure the correct flow parameters (pressure, flow rate, fluid level, temperature, etc.) during operation.